This is the white bread that my mom would make for us all the time when growing up! Hers ALWAYS looked perfect and was baked to perfection! It has taken me quite a few tries to get mine looking almost as good as hers! I think this is one of the recipes that I would say reminds me most of my childhood. And its a good one!
How to make homemade white bread
- First you mix the water, yeast, and sugar together and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add your salt, powdered milk, and oil and mix.
- Then add your flour gradually while mixing on low speed.
- Dough should pull away from sides of the bowl, but should still be sticky
- Let rise in bowl until doubles
- Put oil on counter top and hands. Place dough on counter and punch down. Divide into 5 equal parts. ( I usually make 4 regular and 1 with butter, cinnamon, sugar, and brown sugar rolled up inside) Let rise again until doubled
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
6 cups very warm water
3 Tablespoons yeast
1 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons salt
1/2 cup powdered milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
5 lb bag of white bread flour
Mix water, yeast, and sugar and let sit for 5 minutes. Make sure yeast is foaming and bubbling to the top. In a large bowl (or mixer) put in salt, powdered milk, and oil. Mix together and slowly add flour mixing on low. Dough should pull away from sides (sides should be clean), but the dough should be sticky.
Let rise in bowl until doubled, about 1 hour. Put oil on countertop and hands, place dough on counter and punch down. Divide into 5 equal parts. Let rise again until doubles.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.