I absolutely love onion rings! When I am at a restaurant and I see onion rings on the menu I also have to scope around and see if I spot any old fashion onion rings! I love thick onion rings! When I thinking of a fun Father’s Day recipe with Krusteaz I was thinking about one of my favorite products of theirs. Their cornbread! My husband is OBSESSED with cornbread and we always have theirs on hand!
So thinking about my husband, Father’s Day, and Krusteaz I knew I needed to use the cornbread in a recipe to celebrate Father’s Day and since I had had onion rings 3 times that week I decided to give these a try! And Krusteaz cornbread was the perfect way to create the thick old fashion onion ring that I was going for!
- 1 box Krusteaz Southern Cornbread Mix
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk or milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup flour
- 3 yellow onions
- peanut oil
- Cut onions into 1/2 inch thick rings. Soak onions in cold water for 15 minutes.
- While onions soak, mix together cornbread mix according to directions on the back of box.
- Place 1 cup of flour in separate bowl. In a deep fryer or a large skillet pour in 2 inches of peanut oil. Bring oil up to 350° F.
- Dip onion rings in flour and then into cornbread mixture. Drop several onion rings in at a time but make sure they are not touching.
- Fry on both sides until golden brown.
Old fashion onion ringS
1 box Krusteaz Southern Cornbread Mix
1 1/3 cups buttermilk or milk
1/3 cup oil
1 cup flour