My husband LOOOOVES cornbread! A few weeks ago my mom asked my husband what he wanted her to make for his birthday dinner. He said cornbread and chili. Take in account that it is over 100 degrees here in Arizona right now. My mom had a good chuckle when he requested that. But ultimately all my husband wanted was some good cornbread! This recipe is my favorite recipe I have tried. You can make it as simple or as gourmet as you want by adding cheddar cheese, green chilis, or corn in it. I like it loaded up, my husband likes it a little more simple. So however you like it…this base is a great cornbread!
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Once you mix both bowls separately combined together. It will be lumpy. Do not over stir.
- Pour mixture in a greased 9x13 pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- For muffins bake for 10 minutes.
- You can add corn, cheddar cheese, and/or green chilis for a variation. I love to serve with honey butter.