My Amazing Homemade French Toast with Buttermilk Syrup!
Breakfast is everyones favorite meal in our house. Or should I say breakfast foods are everyones favorite meal in our house. It is the meal that when I make I know everyone will devour! So not only do we have fun making breakfast on the weekends together as a family, breakfast for dinner is a regular in our home. At dinner the other night my oldest son told me that a little neighbor girl said that she always wants to eat dinner at our house because we have fun things like homemade french toast and waffles for dinner. I couldn’t help but laugh knowing that part of the reason I do breakfast for dinner is that it is fast and I know everyone will eat it! Homemade French toast is my husbands favorite breakfast food. So I try to mix it in as much as I can! Waffles and pancakes are also very regular in our home! But this buttermilk syrup is made every.single.time my kids won’t eat maple syrup from a bottle anymore. Its homemade syrup or …peanut butter and jelly haha.
This recipe has been made by my mom throughout my junior high and high school days. I remember having tons and tons of kids over at our house when school started late and my mom making this french toast. I have 6 siblings who also have the same memories of their friends gathering to enjoy this exact french toast. My mom would make it for my brothers football team after a Friday night game or at 2 am when our house was still full of high schoolers. This is a family recipe that my mom has served with love to us and our friends growing up and I hope to do the same for my children. Where there is good food no one can help but keep away! I hope your family loves this recipe and the famous buttermilk syrup as much as ours does!
Ingredients for French Toast:
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- grated rind for 1/3 of a orange
- 1 loaf of texas toast bread
How to Make Homemade French Toast:
- Combine all ingredients (except bread) and whisk together.
- Dip thick Texas toast (My favorite is Aunt Hattie’s Texas Toast, which comes in a yellow bag)
- Brown on both sides on griddle; top with butter, fruit, and buttermilk syrup.
Homemade Buttermilk Syrup Recipe:
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
How to Make Homemade Buttermilk Syrup:
- Combine butter, sugar, and buttermilk over medium heat in a medium to large saucepan.
- When it just starts to boil, remove off heat and add baking soda and vanilla.
- Stir; it will foam up. Serve hot. Can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
- And then to reheat put in saucepan over medium heat until warm.
Combine butter, sugar, and buttermilk over medium heat in a medium to large saucepan. When it just starts to boil, remove off heat and add baking soda and vanilla. Stir; it will foam up. Serve hot. Can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks. And then to reheat put in saucepan over medium heat until warm.