Let me just start with telling you one thing…these doughnuts are unreal! Like I had neighbors knocking on my door asking for these after I posted the “teaser” on Instagram. I even had 2 of my pregnant friends ask for my garage code to stop by and steal a couple. Then they text me and said that they were mad that they didn’t grab more! They really are amazing!
I am pretty sure it is because the main ingredient is one of my very favorite Krusteaz mixes! Their cinnamon swirl crumb cake mix is one of my favorites! I use it to make crumb cake, muffins, cobblers, doughnuts…you name it! It is an excellent base for the baking fun!
The other thing about these doughnuts is what my husband would like to call the perfect balance between pumpkin and a baked good! It has just the right amount of pumpkin that gives you the feel of fall without slapping you in the face! Pair it with a brown butter frosting and you have died and gone to heaven! So even if you or your family is sick of pumpkin (which I sure hope is not the case) you should still give these a try because they are amazing!
- 1 package Krusteaz Cinnamon Swirl Crumb Cake and Muffin Mix
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, combine the cake mix, water, egg, and pumpkin puree keep the crumb topping aside. Pour the batter into a greased doughnut pan, filling about 3/4 full.
- In a small bowl mix together crumb topping, cinnamon and nutmeg. Top with the crumb topping mixture, and press the topping down into the batter.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While they are baking heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until boiling. Let the butter turn light brown and then remove from heat.
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla extract and milk. Whisk together until smooth.
- Remove doughnuts from pan when they are done baking and the pan is warm to touch.
- Transfer them to cooling rack and drizzle frosting over warm doughnuts.
Pumpkin Crumb Doughnuts with Brown Butter Frosting
1 package Krusteaz Cinnamon Swirl Crumb Cake and Muffin Mix
2/3 cup water
1 large egg
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup butter
3 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk