Apple Cinnamon Muffins
Apple cinnamon muffins are the perfect way to start your morning off. These muffins are made with pantry staple items and can be made in under 40 minutes. Your house will soon be smelling like cinnamon and crisp apples in the morning. Loaded with sweet-tart diced apples and topped with a brown sugar cinnamon streusel, these muffins will be the perfect start to your day. Needing a quick snack? These muffins are the perfect grab-and-go breakfast or snack if you are in a rush or just want to grab a quick treat.
What will I need to complete this recipe?
Large mixing bowls, muffin pan, cupcake paper liners, whisk, spatula, spoon, all-purpose flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, ground cinnamon, baking powder, apple pie spice, baking soda, salt, eggs, butter, milk, honey, vanilla extract, red apples, and oats
Serving Size: 1 muffin
Yields: 16 muffins
Total Time: 40 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
½ cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon apple pie spice
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, room temperature
½ cup butter, melted
1/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups apples, peeled and diced
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup oats
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter, cold
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with paper-lined muffin cups and set aside.
2. Whisk together first 8 ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
3. In another large bowl add eggs, butter, milk, honey, and vanilla extract, whisk until combined.
4. Slowly add in dry mixture and stir, batter will be thick.
5. Fold diced apples into batter.
6. Fill lined muffin pan three-fourths full.
7. In a small bowl add streusel toppings and cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or a fork.
8. Sprinkle streusel topping over the batter.
9. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. To check insert toothpick in the center and if it comes out clean the muffin is baked.
10. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
Frequent Asked Questions:
Can I make this muffin without the streusel topping? Yes, the topping is optional but it is amazing.
How do I store muffins? The best way to store these is to store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
What is the best type of apple to use for these muffins? I prefer using a pink lady apple because it is an easy balance between sweet and tart. Pink lady apples can be difficult to find because they are usually the last to harvest during the season. If you are having trouble finding pink lady apples you can also try out Gala apples, they hold their shape when baking as well.
Make sure eggs, butter, and milk all are at room temperature. This helps make muffins light and fluffy.
Do not over mix your batter. When you over mix the outcome will have you eating a dense dry muffin. When mixing the dry ingredients into the wet batter mix just until the dry ingredients have combined. This should take about 30 seconds.
Can I grate my apples instead of dicing? Absolutely, I have used grated apples so the batter is really infused with the flavor in every bite. I also like the small diced apples so you get a pop of apple in some bites. Either way is perfectly fine.
Wanting to make mini muffins can I use this recipe? Sure, can!